Monday 6 June 2016

Whatever is lovely!

It was very encouraging to see so many people read my previous post. Since last time my health has been up and down as usual. Still a lot of pressure in my ears but taking it one step at a time as they say and even literally. Last Tuesday I had a very sensitive head to light and noise, so i was wearing my sunglasses inside and out. I was also dreading my son's birthday party, but survived it and was so happy that he had a great time with all his friends.

 I suffer from anxiety and depression as a result of my chronic illneses. And often I'm anxious about all sorts of things. I'm especially anxious about the new symptom I've gained a few weeks ago which I reffered to previously ;  'Vertigo' and i'm not talking about that trampoline place in Belfast either. Vertigo scares me, cos it makes you feel so 'out of control' . Over the years as new symptoms occurred I have gone through the stages of grief with them until I learn to cope with them. A peaceful state can be so hard to find in the midst of all this. The only peace that truly satisfies me is God's peace and the bible verses I want to focus on show us how to recieve that, because peace is a gift from God.

Philippians 4: 8&9

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

In verse 8 we see a long list of words, and below I have listed them again with dictionary definitions and my own thoughts on them)
TRUE (: Truth based in facts and reality:not emotion; No lie is found in Christ!.)
NOBLE (Fine personal qualities or high moral principles; also belonging to the aristocracy by rank, birth: Jesus' genealogy goes back to Adam, and Jesus practiced what he preached!)
JUST(Morally Right & Fair; or deserved (treatment). I have to add here that Jesus is indeed just, so much so he died on the cross for us, taking the punishment that our own  sins deserved.)
PURE (Innocent or morally good; complete; We are complete in Christ)
LOVELY (exquisitely beautiful; very pleasant; We see clearly in God's word how lovely Jesus is.)
OF GOOD REPORT ( Did you ever hear jesus gossip? No!)
ANY VIRTUE (behaviour showing high moral standards; quality considered good or desirable. It is desirable to be Christlike)
PRAISEWORTHY (Goes without saying that Jesus whole life praised God as our lives should too)

HOW DO WE LEARN THESE THINGS?
The source is  Christ ! We need to learn about Jesus, receive his words, hear his words, see his actions and study Him and His character through the Gospels.
READ AND DIGEST THE WORD OF GOD TO BECOME CHRISTLIKE.

The RESULT is thatTHE PEACE OF GOD WILL BE WITH YOU!
Verse 7 of Philippians 4 states  "and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Everybody is searching for a state of peace, striving for peace.
 Peace according to the dictionary is;freedom from disturbance, anxiety and distress which gives us a state of tranquility or calm.
There is in every human being a gaping void, that we try to fill up with the things of this world, stuff, internet, tv...objects.. But they never satisfy ever!

So where do we start? My challenge is simply read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
and see what you learn about Jesus.
An to end this post let me quote from Colossians 3:15a 

LET THE PEACE OF GOD RULE IN YOUR HEARTS.



2 comments:

  1. Enjoyable post Elaine....ph4v7 ohh how I love you verse!!
    Thank you Lord You are our solid rock, our firm foundation...remind us our feelings and emotions are like sinking sands not to be depended upon...Help us keep our minds on those things we are exhorted to dwell on ,despite how our ill health can make us feel & can distort our vision of Your faithfulness !
    Often think of this little poem Elaine .....
    Three men walking on a wall...FEELING, FAITH & FACT,
    Feeling took an awful fall,
    And Faith was taken back,
    But Fact remained both strong and true,
    And that brought back Faith,
    And then Feeling too!!!
    Trust you will have better days ahead vertigo wise xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry meant to say thank you for the feed back and glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete