Wednesday 19 March 2014

Putting myself out there is scary- a Brief History

I was glad I started blogging yesterday. It was scary to take the first step but I did it and appreciated everyone's encouragement.

I always had a predisposition to being an unenergetic child and I was always in trouble with Mum for being lazy. But looking back I realised that there were days I could conquer the world and other days where I simply couldn't do all that was expected of me. I found school, primary and secondary education a hateful experience and I remember particularly getting in trouble with teachers for yawning. But it was yawning for no reason as I went to bed on time and ate a good healthy farming families diet!!
I used to stress out about any sort of test or exam where I had to run to the toilet many times before each event. I was also a very emotional child and teenager and felt treated unfairly by life. Despite all that I managed to get through school and amazingly passed all my exams.

There was always that underlying physical , mental and emotional fatigue that followed me around. This continued on through university as I bizarrely studied to be a Primary Ed Teacher. I know writing that last sentence has me laughing out loud. Well it was the one of only two options I was allowed to choose from according to my parents desires for me.!!The other was nursing.... ;)
Teaching practices were a nightmare as I hadn't the energy to persevere under pressure. But amazingly I managed to get through college and succeed in obtaining a degree. Go Me!!!

I remember my first year teaching, I was utterly exhausted, getting up in the morning was a nightmare. I remember having to try and motivate my self and put on that 'I'm alright face' before I met the other teachers. I dreaded the kids coming into the class. I would cry on my way home in the afternoons from exhaustion, I couldn't think straight, often I missed my bus stop, or missed the bus completely. I just didn't have any stamina for teaching children. My parents or friends never got it and I couldn't explain it either. Because of my fluctuating weight problems, most people put it down to that and I believed it too.

The following three years I did something completely different and worked with a Christian student organisation; in Dublin for one year and in Ukraine for two. I worked as a support worker.
I loved this work and my experience of living in Ukraine was amazing. I think because I loved the work I did I was able to handle any exhaustion better. I made sure there was a complete day I slept mostly.
So this long story brings me to 1998 where I claim I got M.E....

And now as I'm wrecked I am going to leave you in suspense as to what happened in 1999. In my next blog I'll let you know....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the beginnings of your story, look forward to much more to come!

    ReplyDelete