Monday 24 March 2014

So whose an expert?? Part 1

Hi everyone, finally figured out how to blog from my tablet,,, found the app.
I am struggling! I want a break from this illness,, have you ever wanted a holiday from your body?? Well that's how I feel today,,, actually I feel that way often. I am thankful for the support I get from my hubby and my son but one circle of people who I've rarely got the support I need is from the medical profession.

Until 1999 I had rarely gone to doctors unless it was something obvious like a sore throat or ear infection. I guess the reason why was if I felt ill, lethargic, fatigued, depressed or whatever; it was because of my weight problems! Well that's what I was always told by people I trusted. While I knew my weight never helped it definitely wasn't what was really wrong.
I persevered that year and managed to survive a year of bible college. But that same year as studying my future hubby and I arranged our  wedding. We got married at the beginning of July and my health problems deteriorated even further with increased episodes of flu like symptoms. I increasingly found it difficult to attend college and as for course work it just wasn't happening. On the insistence of my hubby I went to the local doctor a number of times and as my glands were swollen everything was put down to tonsillitis. Anytime I questioned the other symptoms particularly the fatigue side of things I was informed it was because of my obesity. So I was pumped with antibiotics which were making no real difference.
I remember coming up to the end of the academic year and having to admit that I wasn't going to be able to finish all the assignments I had already got extensions on. I cried my eyes out with my tutor and he was very understanding. I was granted an indefinite extension and by the next year I managed to get the work done and succeeded in getting my diploma. Looking back I,m amazed at the college's grace and also my determination to get that diploma. Most importantly my faith in God really has gotten through all these years.

Because I continued to get tonsillitis I was given a tonsillectomy in 2002,, which under anaesthetic nearly killed me as my blood pressure dipped too low. Thankfully after an extremely painful recovery I actually survived it. But this didn't make a difference to my health, actually I believe it made things worse as I had more swelling  in my neck glands and under my arms. That year I actually attempted to do some supply teaching but that was a disaster,, I was in tears in the morning before going out and then by the evening I was beyond exhaustion. That was a really hard time for us as a young couple,,, I didn't understand what was going on with my health let alone my poor husband. I felt so useless and felt everyone around me Just thought I was fat and lazy!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to read a bit of your story. Amazing that you were in the Ukraine! I am fond of Eastern Europe. And I'm so amazed (and impressed) that you got your diploma. It must have been so emotionally damaging to have your health problems just put down to your weight.

    Nice to connect with you through Twitter.

    ReplyDelete