Monday 31 March 2014

So what happens after a diagnosis

I was relieved to get a diagnosis in 2011 of ME and then later Fibromyalgia. To be honest though complete disappointment and disillusion set in when I realised that there was very little my doctor knew about either illness and very little in how to treat me. So to begin with I was prescribed just some paracetamol to deal with throat, ear infections and the like. But when fibro came into the picture I was prescribed a load of different meds by the doctors, all which have not helped in the long term.

I just felt "left" meaning left; ignorant, lonely, unanswered and abandoned by the medical profession.
I had suffered for years up to this with IBS, PCOS, diabetes type 2, bouts of depression, anxiety even early onset renal failure and all these could be treated in some way with medication and or diet modifications. So why not a chronic illness?? Sorry there's no cure they said. The words 'THERES NO CURE' are hard to hear and hard to handle.

In my husbands and my dismay we persevered with the doctors to seek more medical professional help. So I was referred to city hospital Belfast to the chronic fatigue clinic there.  But to be honest while the consultant was lovely and put you through every test under the sun to make sure it was nothing else. Good process of elimination  diagnosis was all it ended up being. I was put through loads of blood tests, xrays, CT scans , head MRI etc...And in the end with no follow up because the clinic closed down. Now there's another story for another blog.

Having a chronic illness is hard to accept, I have gone through very dark times with it and some days it is easier to handle than others. Not that easier really is a word we ever use...but in blog posts to come I would like to share what those good and bad days have been like in the past and also in the present

No comments:

Post a Comment